Thursday, June 08, 2006

the blues and me*

so I have begun to read Stone Butch Blues, which i am amazed and ashamed to admit I have never read before. What a tremendous book! I don't think i've ever described a book as 'tremendous' before, it's a bit of a weighty adjective. Shannon says that it changed her life but she only finished reading it last week so I don't feel like there's been that much of her life to change. Not that i doubt her word of course and she was talking about getting a three-piece suit but really, who doesn't want a three piece suit?

*yes, i may have alluded to this on Shannon's blog but I just wanted to confirm, last night, on a grammar website, i was led to believe that where we have been taught to say, for example, 'shannon and i are very cute on our matching red bicycles', it is more correct to say, 'Shannon and me are very cute on our matching red bicycles.' Can it be true? Oh Mark, why aren't you home to confer with me on this crucial issue!?

2 comments:

shannon said...

i didn't realise how stupid i sounded saying stone butch blues 'changed my life' before i read it on your blog.

but i do think it has made think about a lot of stuff i don't feel really ready to talk about just now. i started talking to kate the other day, but you know, that's not without its complications.

i miss you. come home soon.

shanon xx

ps i'm going to try and cut down on my comments on your blog. xx

Anonymous said...

Your "grammar website" is completely, utterly wrong. One says, "Shannon and I are very cute on our matching red bicyles," because it is analogous to saying, "I am very cute on my red bicycle." (The group of 'Shannon and I' is the subject of the sentence and therefore in the nominative case.) On the other hand, if the sentence were to be, "how exciting, a red bike was given to me for my birthday," then one would likewise say, "matching red bikes were given to Shannon and me." (Here, as the object of the sentence, the receiver of the verbal action of giving, you are in the accusative case.) Really, it's very simple. You should find a better website.