Wednesday, January 24, 2007

hello mr zucchini head


me and my garden are very happy together at the moment. Last night i went to the extent of claiming that if i was never allowed to leave home again but could garden all day i wouldn't have any regrets. I think the truth of that claim would depend on whether i was allowed to have mail and visitors.

Over the last two days I've been planting my brassicas and root vegetables for the Winter so i'm feeling very organised and on top of things. It's always the way when you have just tucked the little seeds into the dirt. The real struggle begins in a week or so when the darlings pop their delicate little heads up. I'm still amazed at some of the plants in my garden which are so massive and hardy now but I remember how it seemed like i would barely be able to save even one seedling from the ravages of slugs and pecking birds and extreme sun. Our slug issues are much more under control since Dan made it is his daily mission to hunt the little bastards out and provide Vera with her daily feast of slug flesh.

This little sun-filled gardening sojourn feels like some kind of last minute reprieve before honours year swamps me. I'm taking deep breaths and hoping I won't go under.

No comments: