Tuesday, August 01, 2006

missives from the reserve section

so i'm back at school and i reckon, apart from short interludes to keep y'all up to date with the ranch's pack of chickens, perhaps i'm going to turn this into stories from the front line: one boyish little lady taking on the law school. So let me set the scene for you. Every day of my life that i spend at law school I go to the toilet and frighten small blonde and rexy law ladies who stare at me with frightened eyes. Behind the lashings of mascara i see something that looks frighteningly like mental cognition. It goes something like this, 'ohmigod. that's totally a man in the lay-dees! oh, that's just rude. no wait... *click click click. some cogs turn slowly* heey, that's not a man. ohmigod, what the fuck is that chick wearing. ew. she totally needs to get some make-up and tuck some tight jeans into brown leather prada knee-high boots and carry a darling little chanel bag. and wear a pretty top with a little belt around her waist. oh, she could look so much cuter then. yeah *agrees with self in head* that would be heaps better and i wouldn't think she was a man in the lay-dees then either. oh hey, thinking of looking totally cute. god, i still can barely believe how fucking cute i looked when i wore that sequined dress to the law ball. Check it out!

Of course, it's not that my fellow law ladies only think about how it's practically illegal for them to look that hot. No, we have been grappling with some pretty serious issues this last week. In fact, I haven't thought this much about abusive men and battered women's syndrome since i was 16 and we left my stepfather to live in a women's shelter for three months. Nor have I been this close to actual violence myself for some time. Of course if i had throttled the woman behind me in crim the other day, that would have been more ordinary assault than domestic violence. Could i plead insanity? 'Sorry, your honour, i was driven insane by the mere random recollection of that sequinned dress in the law ball photographs.'

3 comments:

joe cupcake said...

i think you could definitely plead some kind of panic defence.. i mean, that's sequinned leopard print yeah? that's gotta give you ptsd and all sorts of nasties.

you know though... maybe you'd just have to plead jealousy. i mean how much hotter would you, or perhaps Dia, look in that dress?

crankypants said...

that's the frightening thing. I think perhaps those law-ball photographs frighten me off femme-fashion!

shannon said...

my love i miss you. i feel grumpy about missing you today. i feel like i never get to see you and whinge whinge whinge. whinge. silvana has house interviews so can't do dinner now or something similar. wah. grumpy. why is my tax return not there yet? why does no one appreciate my house wifery? whinge. why won't my computer work? i'm down to stealing time on the flattie's computer. wah sooky wah! why am i so grumpy? xx